If you have noticed problems with your roof, getting a professional roof inspection is, of course, the first step toward fixing the issue. However, not all roofing problems are obvious. There are all types of roofing problems out there and not all of them are characterized by leaks, drafts, or brown spots on your ceiling. Just because you don’t see these signs, doesn’t mean that your roof is structurally sound and up to snuff. This is why professional roofing contractors suggest having your roof inspected a few times a year.
One key part of this inspection will be to thoroughly inspect your attic and ensure that it is properly insulated and ventilated. Inadequate ventilation and insulation can cause serious damage to your roof and home. Below are some of the key points of the attic ventilation checklist.
- All vents are clean and functioning properly
- Exhaust vents and intake vents are balanced one-for-one
- Vent holes are sized according to the space and to help facilitate adequate airflow
- Ventilation system features insulation baffles that prevent vents from getting blocked off
- There is no sign of moisture problems — e.g. mold, mildew, warped or degraded wooden framing
- Vents are free from obstructions and debris — e.g. leaves, dirt, nests, etc.
- All vents use a single system to ensure optimal functionality — e.g. all vents are gable louvers, power vents, etc.
- There aren’t any nasty smells coming from your attic
- There are no signs of rust
- Vents meet code requirements (the two primary types of code requirements are 1/300 and 1/150. Contact your local roofing contractors to learn more about this.)
What If My Roof Isn’t Properly Ventilated?
If you have spotted a problem in your attic or you are unsure whether your attic is adequately ventilated, consult with a professional roofing contractor. If you are in the Nashville area, be sure to contact Tim Leeper Roofing. Since 2004, our team of roofing contractors has been providing top-notch roofing services throughout the Greater Nashville Area. All this hard work has earned us a reputation for being one of Nashville’s best roofing companies — in fact, we were honored with the title of Mt. Juliet’s Best Roofer of 2018. We take great pride in this and plan on doing all that we can to keep providing award-winning roofing services. Our services include residential and commercial roof inspections, repairs, replacements, and more. Contact us today for your free, no-hassle quote.